- Broken clouds
- Temperature: 19 °C
Education is synonymous with Stellenbosch and the historic town boasts several top primary schools, high schools, private schools, colleges and the internationally-renowned Stellenbosch University.
The founding of the first institution for higher education for the Dutch-Afrikaans section of the population; the Theological Seminary of the Dutch Reformed Church; led to Stellenbosch becoming the home of a complex of educational institutions:
- Rhenish Girls' School, 1860;
- Stellenbosch Gymnasium, 1866, currently known as Paul Roos Gymnasium;
- Stellenbosch ‘College’, 1880-1887, which later became Victoria College, 1887-1918, and eventually Stellenbosch University, 1918;
- Bloemhof Girls' School, 1875;
- Lückhoff School, 1935, was named after Rev. Paul Daniel Lückhoff, a missionary who did extensive work amongst the slaves in Stellenbosch from 1829.
- Other senior schools are Cloetesville High, Hoërskool Stellenbosch, Kayamandi High, Stellenzicht Secondary, Stellenbosch Waldorf School, International English School and Stellenbosch Hills.
Stellenbosch is one of South Africa’s culinary hotspots and regularly features among the Top 10 Restaurants in South Africa, playing host to over 70 restaurants offering international cuisine and traditional Cape fare.
The town is home to the Institute of Culinary Arts, The South African Chefs Academy and The Private Hotel School. Culinary courses are also presented at the Boland College, Bergzicht Training Centre and Stellenbosch University. Various private courses are also available.
In this renowned centre for education and learning, there are various design schools and academies for the study of graphic design, photography, jewellery, fashion, visual arts, sculpture, art, ceramics, and interior design, to name a few.
Sport has always been an integral part of life in this bustling university town that has delivered top achievers in almost every sporting discipline.
Several sports schools and academies offer training courses and most have, or can arrange, accommodation. These include rugby (also the development of youth rugby through coaching clinics at schools); tennis, athletics, swimming and gymnastics.
There are also courses on sports leadership, training and development.
Stellenbosch University caters for more than 30 competitive and recreational sports.
STELLENBOSCH TOURISM INDUSTRY